Thursday, November 10, 2005

Bangalore Habba: Need People!

Bangalore Habba and the Culture Café

From the Culture café desk

Deesh Mariwala writes

deesh@deesh.com

Hi Everyone,

I will be directing and coordinating for Culture Café and Kimaaya for the Bangalore Habba.

There are two areas that I am working on:

1) Rock Music and poetry - For this I will need musicians, singers, and voices. If you are any of the three - especially a musician or singer who can accompany himself/herself on the guitar and is familiar with classic rock from the 60's and 70's - Dylan, Procol Harum, Leonard Cohen, Jefferson Airplane, Zappa, Jethro Tull, etc. etc. - CALL ME immediately.

2) Readings - of revue sketches, short plays and skits, poetry, quotations and general madness - I need voices, preferably experienced.

If you don't have experience and don't mind sitting in on rehearsals and pitching in in all sorts of other ways, please do get involved. There might not be Page 3 opportunities right now, but that's the way most of the rest of us greying old fogeys began. If you're lucky and have stage presence that cannot be ignored, rest assured that we will throw you to the wolves!

If you don't believe you fit the roles above, but have friends who might, please call them and get them to call or mail me.


We will meet on Saturday, the 12th of November at 11am to discuss/ audition/ plan the series of café performances.

We will meet at Unisun Publications, above Windsor Pub, next to Kodava Samaj in Vasanth Nagar. The building is on your left if you are coming from the Mount Carmel side, and on your right if you come from Millers Road/Alliance Francaise. Go up the stairs PAST Windsor Pub (please don't stop off for a beer before, there will be time after!). On the first floor, to the left, is Unisun. Parking is adjacent to the pavement, or on the side streets.

Please call me (98807 33374) if there is any confusion.
Please call me and declare your interest, or that of your friends, in the next coupla days. 98807 33374 - ideally post 5pm, but otherwise any time post 7am is ok. If I don't pick up first time, please bear with me and call me back. I'm terribly absentminded and keep leaving my phone in the strangest places!

Actors/Voices: Bring something you like or think you are good at doing. I will also bring audition pieces.

Musicians/Singers: Bring yourselves (without sore throats or fingers), other musicians, and songs you love to sing or play - strictly from the 60's or 70's bands (no Backstreet Boys, please!!!) I'm looking for voices to fill the shoes (I know, I know - I couldn't resist it) of people like Grace Slick, Nick Cave, Janis Joplin, Tom Jones, Van Morrison, and the like. Bring audition pieces of songs loaded with meaning - stuff with a message, whether it's Nowegian Wood or White Rabbit, Back Door Man or Northern Sky, Blowin' in the Wind or Everybody Knows. And if you've never heard of these songs or singers, do not worry - you shall be educated! If you have never heard of rock or blues, but can sing or play the guitar, just come anyway...


Next week, rehearsals shall be post 7pm on weekdays.

Call and confirm
Cheers,
Until the meeting then...

Deesh Mariwala

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home